September 15, 2008 11:47 AM

Celebrities jumping on the Superhero bandwagon

If you thought the rumors of Will Smith as Captain America were weird, I've got some surprises for you. First on the list is the fact that Brendan Fraser was supposedly almost Superman in Superman Returns. You can read part of Brendan's interview here and the playable interview is here. He says a lot about how he was really excited to be Superman and how all the rest of the people who tried out for it were supposedly nobodies from soap operas and other such things. He also says that he saw the script written by J.J. Abrams and that it was amazing. Abrams was responsible for producing Cloverfield which was a decent movie but I wouldn't say it was amazing script wise. Anyway Brendan could've played Superman but I don't think he could've been serious about it. The emo script of Superman Returns would've been even weirder with Brendan Fraser as Superman. He acts pretty silly in most of his roles so he would've had to chill out and that's probably one reason he turned it down (if he was offered it in the first place). Also I think a bigger nerd should've played the part.

The 2nd thing on the list of superhero insanity is David Boreanaz playing the Green Lantern. If I needed any more reason to hate the Green Lantern, than this is definitely it. I don't know what WB was thinking on this one (other than the fact that a million teenage girls will go to see it in hopes of seeing him shirtless). Why not pair an obnoxious superhero with a bad soap opera level of acting (nothing could go wrong right)? Also, despite the fact that recently in most the Green Lantern stories he's been black, they're using someone who's decidedly not black (I bet you Will Smith is mad :P ). I guess I have to give David the fact that he's already played the Green Lantern. All I know is that I'm definitely not going to see that movie haha.

[caption id="attachment_927" align="alignleft" width="218" caption="Who me? I'm not being totally obvious, no not at all!"]Who me?  I'm not being totally obvious, no not at all![/caption]Ok last on the list is the fact that there's a rumor going around that Eva Longoria wants to be in the Avengers. This is because she was photographed leaving the offices of Marvel Comics with an Avengers comic and business card held in her hand. The photos look really staged as if maybe she wanted people to see her (but a celebrity would never try to get undeserved attention, no of course not). Anyway people are speculating that she wants to be the Wasp seeing as that's the only original female Avengers character. I haven't heard anything about this movie so I'm betting nobody is even trying to make it yet, although I'm sure concepts for a female superhero movie are being thought about (seriously what do geeks love more than a superhero, one with boobs). I could totally see her as a Wasp in real life, you know being annoyingly buzzy trying to get you to watch Desperate Housewives. People are forgetting the other Avengers females that have popped up sporadically throughout the years though. It's actually a pretty long list and here it is just for you. These are only the confirmed members; there are still more that have questionable membership.

[caption id="attachment_928" align="alignright" width="280" caption="What do you mean you want someone who can act?"]What do you mean you want someone who can act?[/caption]Wasp
Scarlet Witch
Black Widow
Mantis
Moondragon
Ms. Marvel/Warbird
Tigra
She-Hulk
Pulsar
Starfox
Mockingbird
Firebird
Spider-Woman
Invisible Woman
Sersi
Crystal
Firestar
Silverclaw


Personally I think Eva would better be suited to play the Black Widow, you know the superheroine most known for her man-eating powers lol. I'm sure Eva would love to seduce Robert Downey Jr. :) . Also, I'd just like to point out how many females on the list have either bug or bird related names (not to mention those with female attributions). Seriously comic writers need to be more creative when naming their characters (I must say, I do like the name Sersi though :D ).

0 Comments On "Celebrities jumping on the Superhero bandwagon"